linked to header image linked to header image linked to header image
Skip Header InformationSkip to navigation United States Secret Service USSS Star
   United States Secret Service Star

What to do if you have been the victim of credit card fraud or identity theft:

  1. If your complaint is essentially a non-criminal dispute with a retailer or other business, you must immediately dispute the charge(s) in writing with the customer relations office of your credit card company.

  2. If you have been the victim of credit card fraud or identity theft, the following tips will assist you:

    • Report the crime to the police immediately. Get a copy of your police report or case number to provide to your credit card company, bank or insurance company.

    • Immediately contact your credit card issuer(s). Get replacement cards with new account numbers and ask that the old account be processed as "account closed at consumer's request" for credit record purposes. You should also follow up this telephone conversation with a letter to the credit card company that summarizes your request.

    • Call the fraud units of the three credit reporting bureaus. Report the theft of your credit cards and/or numbers. Ask that your accounts be flagged. Also, add a victim's statement to your report that requests that they contact you to verify future credit applications. The following is a list of addresses and numbers to the three credit bureaus:

      Equifax Credit Information Services - Consumer Fraud Div.
      P.O. Box 740256
      Atlanta, GA 30374
      Tel: 1-888-766-0008

      P.O. Box 2104
      Allen, Texas 75013-2104
      Tel: (888) EXPERIAN (397-3742)

      Trans Union Fraud Victim Assistance Dept.
      P.O. Box 2000
      Chester, PA 19022-2000
      Tel: 800-680-7289

    • Keep a log of all conversations with authorities and financial entities.

    • As with any personal information, only provide your credit card number to merchants you know. Also, remember to protect your Social Security number. You have to provide your Social Security number for employment and tax purposes, but it is not necessary for many businesses. Notify the Social Security Administration's Office of Inspector General if you suspect your Social Security number has been used fraudulently.

    • The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is the federal clearinghouse for complaints by victims of identity theft. Although the FTC does not have the authority to bring criminal cases, the Commission assists victims of identity theft by providing them with information to help them resolve the financial problems and other repercussions that can result from identity theft. The FTC also may refer victim complaints to other appropriate government agencies and private organizations for further action. If you have been a victim of identity theft, you can file a complaint with the FTC by contacting the FTC's Consumer Response Center:

      By Phone:       Toll-free 1-877-ID-THEFT (438-4338)
                             TDD 202-326-2502
      By Mail:           Consumer Response Center
                             Federal Trade Commission
                             600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW
                             Washington, DC 20580
      On the Web:
 linked to header image USSS Star

» Search the website

Powered by

» Home
» Who We Are
  - Director
  - Deputy Director
  - Chief Operating Officer
  - Special Agents
  - Uniformed Division
  - Support Personnel
» Our Dual Mission
» Rowley Training Center
» History
» Frequently Asked Questions
» Student Q&A

Contact Us
» Contact Information
» Field Offices

» Investigative Mission
» Criminal Investigations
» Forensic Services
» Investigative Support
» Know Your Money
» Electronic Crimes Task Force
» Law Enforcement Resources

» 2016 Presidential Campaign FAQs.pdf
» Protective Mission
» How Protection Works
» National Special Security Events
» National Threat Assessment Center

Press Room
» Most Wanted
» Photo Gallery
» Press Releases
» Annual Report
» Downloads
» Information Quality

» Employment Opportunities
» Application Forms
» Equal Employment Opportunity
» EEO Data Posted Pursuant to the
» Reasonable Accommodation

Business Opportunities
» Procurement Division
(For Vendors)

» Boys and Girls Club Partnership
» Center for Missing and Exploited Children Partnership

Copyright 2014 United States Secret Service. All rights reserved.
Home | Privacy Policy | Security Notice | Section 508 | Department of Homeland Security |